dr Robert Kusek
Robert Kusek is an Assistant Professor in the Section of Comparative Literary and Cultural Studies at the Institute of English Studies, Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland. He graduated with honours from the Institute of English Studies (2005) and the Institute of Journalism and Social Communication (2006) at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow. In 2011, he was awarded a PhD degree by the Faculty of Philology at the Jagiellonian University.
He is the recipient of many awards and fellowships, including the annual prizes of the Rector and Dean of the Jagiellonian University, the Corbridge Trust Fellowship and SUISS Fellowship. He was a student and conducted research at the University of East Anglia, University of Exeter, University of Edinburgh, University of Texas at Austin, University of Trieste and University of Cambridge.
As a journalist, he worked for the Polish National Radio. Since 2008, he has been a coordinator of the Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation for the Dialogue Between Cultures at the Institute of European Heritage of the International Cultural Centre in Krakow.
His research interests include the oeuvre of J.M. Coetzee, contemporary novel in English as well as comparative approach to literary studies, life writing genres, poetics of memory and loss, the Holocaust and its representations in culture, intercultural communication and media. He has attended a number of international conferences, managed several academic and educational projects, and has widely published academic papers, reports, analyses and interviews.
He has published, co-edited and written:
- a monograph and 9 volumes of articles (co-editor),
- over 35 academic papers published in books and academic journals
- over 30 articles, reviews, interviews, reports and analyses published in various Polish and international publications.
Selected publications from 2014 and 2015:
- Travelling Texts: J.M. Coetzee and Other Writers, eds. B. Kucała, R. Kusek, Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2014.
- Spoglądając na stereotyp, ed. R. Kusek, J. Sanetra-Szeliga, Kraków: Wydawnictwo Międzynarodowego Centrum Kultury, 2014.
- Nations and Stereotypes 25 Years After, New borders, new horizons, eds. R. Kusek, J. Purchla, J. Sanetra-Szeliga, Kraków: International Cultural Centre Press, 2015.
- Colm Tóibín: „Wrestling" with the Master, in:] Henry James Goes to War, ed. M. Buchholtz, D. Guttfeld, G. Konieczniak. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2014, pp. 155-166.
- Against Iconicity: The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín, [in:] The Art of Literature, Art in Literature, eds. M. Bleinert, I. Curyłło-Klag, B. Kucała, Kraków: Jagiellonian University Press, 2014, pp. 77-91.
- Travelling Texts, Travelling Ideas. Janina Duszejko meets Elizabeth Costello, or on Reading J.M. Coetzee in 21st Century Poland, [in:] Travelling Texts: J.M. Coetzee and Other Writers, eds. B. Kucała, R. Kusek, Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2014, pp. 63-77.
- „To seize the copyright in myself". Giving up the Ghost by Hilary Mantel as an exercise in autopathography, [in:] „Studia Litteraria Universitatis Iagellonicae Cracoviensis" Vol. 9(2014), pp. 167-180.
- Writing (non)fiction. On Polish Problems with Life-writing, [in:] Contested Identities: Literary Negotiations in Time and Place, eds. R. Nicholson, C. Marquis, G. Szamosi, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2015, pp. 87-99.
- La vie d'un coeur. Autobiograficzny tetraptyk Alice Munro, [in:] Alice Munro. Wprowadzenie do twórczości, ed. M. Bucholtz, Toruń: Wydawnictwo Adam Marszałek, 2015, pp. 355-372.
- Szminka i tafta, czyli kilka uwag o tłumaczeniu Alice Munro na język polski, [in:] Alice Munro. Wprowadzenie do twórczości, ed. M. Bucholtz, Toruń: Wydawnictwo Adam Marszałek, 2015, pp. 373-388. [with Karolina Rybicka]
- Challenging Generic Conventions: Levels of Life by Julian Barnes and the genre of (auto)thanatography, [in:] „Anglistik: International Journal of English Studies" Vol. 26(2)/2015, pp. 149-160.
- Provincial, yet Major? Damon Galgut's Arctic Summer and Transnationalism of Biographical Fiction, [in:] „Journal of Commonwealth and Postcolonial Studies", New Series (Volume 3.1, Spring 2015), pp. 3-20.
- An Unlikely Pair: J.M. Coetzee and Berlinde De Bruyckere, [in:] „Werkwinkel. Journal of Low Countries and South African Studies" 10(1)2015, pp. 13-32. [with Wojciech Szymański]
- Upheavals of Emotions, Madness of Form. Mary M. Talbot's and Bryan Talbot's Dotter of Her Father's Eyes and a Transdiegetised (Auto)Biographical Commix, [in:] „Prague Journal of English Studies" 4(1) 2015, pp. 107-121.
- Human, All Too Human, Beyond Human: Animals and Late Style, [in:] Sustainable Art: Facing the Need for Regeneration, Responsibility and Relations, ed. A. Markowska, Warsaw–Toruń: Polish Institute of World Art Studies & Tako Publishing House, 2015, pp. 195-203. [with Wojciech Szymański]
- Between Friends? Here and Now, or an „Epistolary Dialogue" between J.M. Coetzee and Paul Auster, [in:] J.M. Coetzee: Dead-Ends and Beyond, eds. L. Gruszewska-Blaim, T. Wiśniewski, Gdańsk: Wydawnictwo Uniwerytetu Gdańskiego, 2015, pp. 171-192.